How to use Saunders Cervical Traction Device at HomeJuly 21, 2022 2022-07-21 15:39
How to use Saunders Cervical Traction Device at Home
The Saunders Cervical Traction unit can be effortlessly adjusted based on your individual Traction needs in minutes and really requires no setup at all. Using the levers on the side of the unit, you can cycle through varying traction angle. Cervical traction is the technique used to alleviate neck pain and support the treatment of other neck and cervical region-related problems. Cervical traction works by gently pulling the neck away from the head, which reduces pressure on the spine and upper body.
Before You Begin
Review the guidelines you received from your health care provider regarding the:
• amount of traction recommended (never so much that it hurts)
• duration (amount of time) of each treatment
• hold and relax times if intermittent traction is recommended
• number of treatments recommended per week or per day
• angle of pull
Remove earrings and any other jewelry or clothing that may get in the way during therapy. Articles of clothing such as ties, scarves, hats, and bulky collared sweaters or shirts are removed to prevent interference with treatments. If you have long hair, it is not to be gathered on the back of your head, as in a braid or bun, as it will not allow your head to rest in the proper position.
Setting Up Your Saunders Unit
1. Place the Saunders Cervical Traction unit on a rug or other firm surface. Make sure the air hose is not pinched by the base of the unit. Ensure there is enough room for you to lay down comfortably.
2. Separate the neck wedges by rotating either of the black adjustment knobs so that your neck fittingly fits between the wedges. You can make additional adjustments after you lie down in the Saunders cervical traction device. NOTE: Do not over-rotate the adjustment knobs. Doing so will result in stripping internal gears.
3. Loosen the adjustable head strap.
4. Ensure the device is in the starting position – the neck carriage should be touching the base. If not, rotate the gauge housing to the RELEASE position.
5. Adjust the traction angle prescribed by your medical provider by pressing the tabs on the Angle Adjuster until it locks into place.
Angle Adjuster Positions: Top = 15 degrees, Middle = 20 degrees, Bottom = 25 degrees
6. Secure the pump in a position so you are able to access it during therapy.
7. You can set a timer with your Saunders Cervical Traction device that indicates the length of the duration of your treatment (not included with the device).
You are now ready to use the Saunders Cervical Traction device.
- Lie down on your back, positioning your body so the neck rest cradles the middle or narrowest part of your neck and your head rests on the head pad. The neck rests should rest your neck between your shoulder tips and the very top of your shoulders.
- Turn the adjustments on either of the knobs until the wedges have moved firmly onto the sides of the neck.
- As you settle into Saunders Cervical Traction, the headrest portion of the pillow wedges will smoothly adjust to the contour of your head and neck, or you can manually rotate the wedges to suit your comfort level.
- Secure the head strap at the center of your forehead, just above the browline. This strap should be comfortable and secure.
- Apply traction using the pump as described in the next section.
Hand Pump Operation
Once you are securely and comfortably settled in your Saunders Cervical Traction apparatus, you will use traction by pumping air into a cylinder with a hand pump.
Rotate the gauge housing of the hand pump to the “PUMP” position. Begin SLOWLY pumping air into the cylinder by stroking the pump handle all the way out and all the way in. Observe the gauge to make sure you are staying within the guidelines provided by your health care provider. When you have reached the desired amount of stretch, rotate the gauge housing to the “HOLD” position. Begin timing your treatment now, following the instructions of your health care provider.
Cleaning the Cervical Traction Device after Use
- Use a mild detergent or disinfectant to clean the surfaces of the Saunders Cervical Traction Device.
- Do not immerse the machine in water.
- If the machine is used by different individuals, always ensure that the surface is cleaned for hygiene purposes.